Monday 10 July 2017

The n word

Let's just check. The n word came to the UK from the USA, as many things do. The word has such awful racist connotations that it can't even be said or written in the USA.

But how many people have actually heard the n word used as an insult here in the UK? I haven't.

In my youth, I heard the n word regularly, in a series of expressions, none of which had racist overtones at the time: nigger brown was a colour, Ten Little Niggers was a book by Agatha Christie before the title was diplomatically changed, and then there was the nigger in the woodpile, the expression this MP is said to have used as a racist insult:


I've listened to what she said and I don't think she used the expression as a racist insult. I think her manner of speaking is many things: old-fashioned, not very fluent, but racist? No.

So what we have here is false indignation by the press and TV who, having tried very hard to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn because of all his politically-incorrect activities - and failed - have now turned their attention to Theresa May's very rocky government and are now using any weapon to further
destabilise it.

Don't get me wrong. I regard the Tories as the enemy of everything that matters to me and I don't want them in power for a minute longer than necessary. But I want them out of government by legitimate means. Not deposed by the UK media. The media, unelected, subject to corruption (as we know from the phone-tapping scandal among other things), and controlled by a small number of billionaires with little commitment to life in the UK. Let's not be fooled here.

No comments:

Post a Comment