Saturday 10 September 2016

A letter

I just sent this to a local headteacher. I hope it needs no explanation:


Dear Headteacher,

I was having lunch at the café in Fenwick Place today, Thursday 8 September, when I noticed a very elderly man park his car and make his way unsteadily across the road to the newsagent’s. There were quite a few students from St Ninian’s picking up their lunch at the café next door. 

When the elderly man came out of the newsagent’s, he took the arm of a St Ninian’s student and spoke to him. They then set off across the road back to the man’s car. The man held on tight to the student’s arm until they reached the car.

I dare say it would have been easy for the student to refuse to help or even to shake the man off. It is to his credit that he didn’t, even though the other students were having a quiet laugh at the sight.

Obviously, I don’t know who the student was but I want to thank him for his kindness.

Young people are often criticized, so it’s good to be able to give some praise where it’s due.

Yours sincerely,


Jean Nisbet


1 comment: