Sunday 25 September 2016

WTF?


I'm not a fan of the 'Royal' family. The first time I saw a Cambridge wean, I thought: Oh look, another generation for us to pay for! Then I thought: You're a nasty wumman - but it immediately occurred to me: Why is that wee boy dressed up to look like Prince Charles, who is my age (65+)? Now I'm wondering why both of these children are dressed up in 1950s clothes.

Small children don't look like this these days. They wear trendy clothes, in vivid colours and modern fabrics that wash well and are, frankly, pretty cheap so they can be thrown away when they're past their best. I know this because I'm often with my sister when she's buying clothes for her grandchildren in M&S, Asda and Debenhams. On occasion, I join her, although I prefer to get them books and toys. But I do know the in thing for wee boys right now is the stripy rugby shirt teamed with denims or cargo pants.

Looking at Kate Middleton, I can only guess she's taken her weans all the way to Canada in the easy-wear clothes I've described and changed them (or the nanny has changed them) into the 1950s gear just before they got off the plane, you know, while she herself was changing into her ridiculous 1950s outfit. I mean, that hat - what is that about?

Let's fast forward 25 years in any normal family: the embarrassing photos are produced - we have quite a collection in our family - and the kids ask: What were you thinking, dressing us up like that? I suspect the baldy guy on the left isn't thinking at all. He's being directed by his wife and the PR team. But he needs to get a grip. There's a limit to how long kids will put up with this kind of thing. I reckon by the time girls are 6 and boys are 8, they have their own ideas on what to wear - and it isn't shorts, long socks and smock-stitched dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment