Thursday 8 September 2016

Treeza

The first secondary school I taught in was a non-denominational school (otherwise known as a Proddie school). It was about 200 yards from the nearest Cafflick school. A few families enrolled their weans in one or the other, apparently on a whim. It wasn't our business to ask why. I quickly learned the meaning of the phrase: No big deal. You just taught whoever walked in the door. But I remember overhearing a conversation between a pupil and the depute head:

DH -    Whit's your name?
Pupil -  Treeza.
DH -     Treeza whit?
Pupil -  Treeza O'Reilly.
DH -     Treeza O'Reilly? And whit are you daein in this school, eh?

The Depute Head did not get it. Theresa was one of 7 or 8 children. Probably from a 'mixed' marriage. Some of her siblings went to the Cafflick school and others to the Proddie school. It was, as I say, no big deal. It was just that he was an idiot. 

Today I was looking at photos of the recently-appointed Prime Minister of the UK. 



I have no difficulty with Treeza May. I don't care if she's a Proddie or a Cafflick. I hear she went to a grammar school. I don't care. She is married to a man with a foot in some pretty murky NHS business in England. Nothing to do with me, since I live in Scotland where the NHS is a devolved matter. 

The divide between Treeza and me is much worse than religious. 

She's a Tory. 

She managed to keep quiet during the last general election and emerged with a job (the one she'd had before - for years). Then she kept quiet during the EU referendum and again came out with the same job, which rapidly turned into an even better job once David Cameron had been ditched. She handled all that well. I knew she would. I'm old and I'm used to politics now. And, as I expected, she has kept pretty quiet since being elevated to the role of prime minister.

But I have just realised something quite alarming: Treeza has not got a frickin clue what's going on with Brexit and has no ideas at all about what should happen next. She has tried to pass the buck to the three caballeros:



You know the type: under-blessed with brains and imagination, but over-endowed with self-confidence. Are we any the wiser about the future that we are - unwillingly in my case - tied to? And please don't tell me it's only been 11 weeks since the vote and things can only get better.  

I live in hope that this will be Treeza's undoing. These three jokers were appointed by her. Davis has already shown Westminster he has no idea what's going on. Johnston looks permanently terrified. And I can't even remember the other one's name, although something at the back of my mind makes me think he's Scottish. Quelle horreur. 

These people are, it seems, the best we have. So here's my question: If Treeza and the boys have nae idea what to do about Brexit and allow themselves to be goaded into daft decisions by the media, what is the future for the UK? 

 Myself, I'm not leaving Scotland. I'm too old. This is where I live. And I would like my family to stay here too. But it would be good if someone could tell me what the hell is going on.



1 comment:

  1. I've been too lazy Jean to write a similar rant....perfectly put and a reason to smile...a rare occasion in this political turmoil! It all hinges on the fact she's a Tory....and I can't stomach any of 'em! Keep ranting pal ❤️

    ReplyDelete